Ain't I a Woman

Ain't I a Woman
Pearl of Great Price

Monday

Yummo!

I have made this casserole several times in the past three weeks.  My friend Katie made it for our 'Chat & Chew' at the YMCA.  We needed a vegetarian dish.  All I got was a fork full from scraping the sides of the dish.  I could still tell that it must have been tasty.  I got the recipe the very next week.  I made it for a recent writing party I hosted (for adults), and it was a hit.  Whoo Hooo!  This is not a traditional holiday dish for me or my family, but I must add it to the list of harvest time recipes.  I think this is comfort food.


Butternut Squash and Kale Torte

I didn't use a spring form pan so it is more of a casserole than a torte.  Also, I used spinach instead of kale greens.  I also needed to cook the dish a bit longer.  And of course...I couldn't be dubbed the 'spice queen' if I didn't add more spice.  Whatever falls out of the cupboard goes in the casserole (LOL).  Welcome to the world of wingin' it in the kitchen.

Butternut Squash and Kale Torte
adapted from Women's Day November 2011


Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil, plus more for the pan
1/2 small butternut squash (about 1 lb), thinly sliced
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 small bunch of kale, thick stems discarded and leaves cut into 1-inch pieces (or spinach)
kosher salt and pepper
1 medium sweet potato, (or Yukon gold potato) thinly sliced
6 oz. provolone cheese
1 plum tomato
1/4 cup grated Parmesan


Directions:
1. Heat oven to 425F. Grease a 9-inch spring form pan. Arrange half of the butternut squash in the bottom of the pan, covering as completely as possible.
2. Top with half of the onion, separating the rings. Add half of the kale, drizzling with 1/2 tbsp olive oil and season with 1/4 tsp salt. Top with the  potato slices and the provolone cheese.
3. Top cheese with remaining kale and drizzle with 1/2 tbsp olive oil plus 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Top with remaining onion, tomato and provolone followed by the squash. Sprinkle with the Parmesan.
4. Cover with foil, place on a baking sheet, and bake covered for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes, until vegetables are tender and the top begins to brown.
 
Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you come again soon.

4 comments:

  1. Wow!! That does look delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious! It definitely looks good, =p...they could've saved you more than a corner though, lol! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this looks yummy printing it to use maybe at New Years Eve dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know I'm gonna make this right? and I too have a thing about adding lots of spices and spice to dishes (unless I'm taking them somewhere for others to eat)...will let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, it will be posted after comment moderation.

Related Posts with Thumbnails